The Japanese Association for Asian Englishes was established in 1997 in an attempt to explore a variety of issues involved in English as a multinational and multicultural language in Asia. Some of the topics we have identified for our collaborative research include:
- 1. Social statistic examination of the diffusion of English in Asia;
- 2. English language teaching policy and pedagogy;
- 3. Varieties of English in all domains of linguistic structure and use;
- 4. Contrastive analysis of different varieties;
- 5. Japanese English as a legitimate variety;
- 6. English-language journalism, literature, and other media; and
- 7. Contact phenomena of English with other Asian languages.